Houston named 'most walkable' city in Texas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston was just named the most walkable city in Texas. But just how safe is it to get from point a to point?
AARP Texas was out in the Museum District yesterday to find out. They were looking for safe sidewalks and other pedestrian friendly features.
The group will give its findings to city leaders in hopes that they will use the data during new construction projects.
"It's very easy at that point to put sidewalks in, to put the curb cuts in, line the streets, have your paths where people can pass easily and have them marked," said Marla Turner with AARP Texas.
The Houston City Council is currently considering a safe passing ordinance that would require motorists to give pedestrians at least three feet of space.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush 38 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea says Kim's uncle removed from power 20 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 53 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 55 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay