Houston named 'most walkable' city in Texas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston was just named the most walkable city in Texas. But just how safe is it to get from point a to point?
AARP Texas was out in the Museum District yesterday to find out. They were looking for safe sidewalks and other pedestrian friendly features.
The group will give its findings to city leaders in hopes that they will use the data during new construction projects.
"It's very easy at that point to put sidewalks in, to put the curb cuts in, line the streets, have your paths where people can pass easily and have them marked," said Marla Turner with AARP Texas.
The Houston City Council is currently considering a safe passing ordinance that would require motorists to give pedestrians at least three feet of space.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 28 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 37 min ago
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations 14 min ago
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses 55 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'