Twelve workers injured in fire at ExxonMobil refinery in Beaumont
BEAUMONT, TX (KTRK) -- A dozen workers have been hurt in a fire at the ExxonMobil refinery in Beaumont.
The company says at around 10:30am Wednesday, the ExxonMobil Beaumont Refinery experienced a fire within a process unit that was down for maintenance.
ExxonMobil says the fire was quickly brought under control and has been extinguished.
The company says the fire was quickly brought under control and has been extinguished. Penisson said refinery personnel put out the fire before Beaumont fire department units arrived.
ExxonMobil said all employees and contractors working in the area of the process unit have been accounted for.
"We sincerely regret this has happened and will conduct a complete investigation to determine the cause of the incident," Moore said in a statement.
Seven of the injured were taken to Baptist Hospital in Beaumont, said spokeswoman Mary Poole. Three of these workers -- who had suffered burns -- were later transferred to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, with one in critical condition and the other in stable condition. The five workers who remained at Baptist Hospital were in stable condition and might be released later Wednesday, Poole said.
ExxonMobil did not immediately know the conditions of the five other injured workers, who were taken to Christus Hospital-St. Elizabeth in Beaumont.
The refinery is part of a 2,400-acre complex near downtown Beaumont, which is about 90 miles northeast of Houston. The complex includes a refinery, a chemical plant and a lube plant. The refinery processes 365,000 barrels of crude oil per day and produces 2.8 billion gallons of gasoline annually. The entire complex has about 2,000 employees and more than 1,000 contract workers.
An investigation is underway.
We will continue to follow this and bring you the latest information on Eyewitness News and abc13.com.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 27 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Man banned from Walmart for life
17 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos