City Council votes to decriminalize trash diving in public garbage cans
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's now legal to dig through public trash cans in Houston.
City Council members voted Wednesday to decriminalize public trash digging on public property. Rummaging in trash on private property remains illegal.
The change came after a homeless veteran was ticketed last month for rummaging through a trash can at Hermann Park. His civil rights lawyer called the rule unconstitutional.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today?
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale