City Council votes to decriminalize trash diving in public garbage cans
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's now legal to dig through public trash cans in Houston.
City Council members voted Wednesday to decriminalize public trash digging on public property. Rummaging in trash on private property remains illegal.
The change came after a homeless veteran was ticketed last month for rummaging through a trash can at Hermann Park. His civil rights lawyer called the rule unconstitutional.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush 56 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 54 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- No more ice, but cold weather continues 31 min ago
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 41 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns