Off-duty deputy killed in motorcycle wreck in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deputy is dead after a vehicle crash in northwest Harris County Saturday morning.
Officials say the deputy was on a motrocycle traveling westbound on FM 2920 at Kuykendahl when, just after 11am, he collided with an SUV. According to investigators, the SUV pulled out of a Kroger parking lot in front of the deputy, who didn't have time to react. He slammed into the SUV and kept going.
"The motorcycle rider continued, was ejected into the center lane and struck another vehicle that was stopped awaiting making a left turn across 2920," Anders said.
A LifeFlight helicopter swooped in as dozens of people watched rescue workers desperately try to save the victim's life. His broken helmet was still on the pavement.
"His helmet was damaged in the accident, so we believe that he does have some head trauma," said Leo Anders with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
The motorcycle ended up on the wrong side of the road, the deputy lying next to it. He was pronounced dead at the hospital hours later.
"He was concious for a moment before LifeFlight arrived. At that point, he was critical when he left the scene," Anders said.
Detectives have not yet ruled whether speed or alcohol were factors in the wreck. The crash is still under investigation.
local, pooja lodhia
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 10 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 23 min ago
- Students charged after dog forced to drink beer 19 min ago
- California pushes to finish driverless car rules 15 min ago
- AP source: Justice department probing GM recall 7 min ago
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
47 min ago