Student arrested for making bomb threats
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston ISD police have charged a Westbury High School student with making a bomb threat against the school earlier this month.
Rodney Joseph Sauls, 18, is charged with making a terroristic threat, which is a state jail felony that carries a maximum possible sentence of two years in a state jail.
Authorities have been forced to evacuate Westbury High School six times this month because of bomb threats. During the course of the investigation, HISD police received several tips, which included key information submitted via Crime Stoppers.
The school secretary told police the caller said, "I have a bomb. I am going to blow the school up. You have five minutes."
The police investigation traced the calls to Sauls' cell phone. Court documents say Sauls even made bomb threats to the school via his cell phone, while in the school's in-school suspension room.
"We take threats against our school communities seriously, and we are committed to investigating these threats vigorously," said HISD Police Chief Jimmy Dotson. "Our students, teachers and staff have a right to feel safe in our schools. We are grateful to those students who were brave enough to come forward and help bring this case to a resolution."
Sauls was arrested on Monday at the Harris County criminal courthouse, where he was appearing on an unrelated matter. No bond has been set in the case.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- College student from Baytown fatally shot 9 min ago
- Kubiak era ends in Houston 6 min ago
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package 2 min ago
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen 23 min ago
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to have chemo