League City getting rid of its red light cameras
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- The red light cameras in League City are going down.
City Council unanimously voted on Tuesday to pay Redflex a $350,000 fee and end its photographic red light-enforcement contract with company early. The city will also pay its monthly $37,215 bill to Redflex for April and May.
The city says even though the contract termination takes effect July 1, it will stop issuing red-light camera tickets immediately. Additionally, all cameras will be turned off and covered this week, and the Redflex will remove them within 90 days.
Tuesday's vote comes five months after 77 percent of city voters approved an amendment to ban the use of the cameras after the city's contract expires in October 2014.
Officials say paying the $350,000 cancellation fee will save the city more than $315,000 had it decided to continue its contract with Redflex until October 2014.
League City has seven red-light cameras in League City, which are located at the intersections of FM 518 with I-45, State Highway 3 and FM 2094/FM 270. An eighth camera had been posted on the southbound I-45 feeder right-turn lane onto FM 518, but was removed in January.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
league city, local
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 27 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 1 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 30 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 40 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 10 min ago
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 19 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words 2 min ago
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 25 min ago