Body found inside house on fire in east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities are trying to determine how a man in east Houston died. He was found in his burning home early Wednesday morning, but it's unclear if the fire caused his death.
Investigators have more questions than answers, but they have started the process of sorting out exactly what happened at a home on Evanston Street at Boise on Houston's east side.
Firefighters were called to the home about 3:45am. Flames and smoke were already pouring from the home when firefighters arrived. They put the fire out fairly quickly, but discovered a deceased man inside, on the floor of the living room. That spurred the involvement of both arson investigators and Houston homicide detectives.
An HPD crime scene unit removed two firearms from the front living room where the man's body was found.
HPD homicide investigator Mark Coleman explained, "There was firearms evidence at the scene, but we don't know what the cause of death is yet, whether it's related to firearms found, or whether it's related to the fire. That will obviously be determined at autopsy."
Police and neighbors say the man lived alone. Authorities are working under the presumption that the man found is the resident of this home, but his identity won't be positively identified until the autopsy.
Investigators say police had been called to the home before, but they are still researching the nature of those calls.
The Houston Fire Department says it is still working to determine a cause for the fire. An autopsy will be conducted as part of the investigation.
local, elissa rivas
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- Ford unveils all-new Mustang
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Boy accused of setting mall fire, two others