Armed men sought in store clerk shooting in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The gunman who shot a clerk with a high-powered rifle through bulletproof glass and two other armed men remain on the run.
Cameras were rolling at the Food Mart on Beechnut at Cook when the gunmen stormed into the store demanding money.
The 56-year-old store clerk was treated and released from the hospital. He was behind the register and behind bulletproof glass when this went down.
The suspects wore hoods, their faces partially covered, and were heavily armed. Police are dissecting the surveillance video to find them.
"When they called me this morning that this happened over here, I just came here," said a concerned customer. "I want to see video of what happened to him."
Police say around 3:45 Wednesday morning three men carrying a rifle and two shotguns ambushed the cashier. They stole money out of his register then fired two shots at him through bulletproof glass before taking off.
When we told Navarro about the shooting, he decided to turn around and not to go inside the store with his 2-year-old child.
"Wow, that's crazy," said Navarro. "Well, because I come with my daughter and we don't want to get hurt, especially me."
The store staff feel unsettled. They believe one of the suspects is a regular customer, which is why the clerk let him inside the store so early in the morning.
"That's sad to know that a certain trust was broken," said customer Cory Hill.
As for the injured clerk, co-workers say he'll soon be back behind the register as scheduled.
"I think he's crazy! He should stay home!" said customer Sara Barahona.
Three suspects are at large and are believed to be armed and dangerous. Police say they may have fled in a silver/gray sports car.
If you have any information in this case, you are urged to call Houston police or Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death 33 min ago
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees
- Jailer accused of sneaking smokes, snacks
- Former Houston cop facing drug charges 18 min ago
- Madison students on alert after reported abduction 45 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses
- Big reward for sex assault suspect who missed court date
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire