Houston Mayor Annise Parker delivers State of City address
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston Mayor Annise Parker says the state of the city is strong, and getting stronger.
In her State of the City address, the mayor said Houston has the nation's hottest economy, and is the job producing capital of America. The mayor also said there's still a lot that needs to be done to improve the city.
Mayor Parker said, "From the roads on which we drive, to the jobs we work, to the neighborhoods in which we live in, to the schools we attend and the parks where our children play -- the best can get better, the best will get better."
Mayor Parker announced two new city programs. "Lift Off Houston" is a business plan competition for entrepreneurs. "Tweet My Job Houston" is a hyper-local app that matches current job postings with qualified candidates.
Read the full text of Mayor Parker's speech
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Severe weather possible across Houston area 25 min ago
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
5 min ago