Amber Alert canceled for two Galveston sisters, ages 6 and 10; children found
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- The Galveston Police Department has canceled an Amber Alert for missing 6-year-old Tiana Duarte and her sister, 10-year-old Makayla Duarte.
Authorities say the children were dropped off with their grandmother around 9pm Friday, and they are safe.
The children allegedly were taken by their mother, Marison Duarte, who according to Galveston police, lost custody of the girls and has a history of drug use and mental health issues. She has supervised visitation rights, but it's her mother who cares for the children.
Authorities say on Thursday, Marisol picked up Tiana at Parker Elementary School at 69th and Jones Drive and Makayla from the Busy Body Day Care at 6904 Lasker Drive. When she didn't return the children at the time she'd arranged with a CPS case worker, the agency reached out to the Galveston Police Department.
By Friday afternoon, the Amber Alert was issued and a statewide search for their whereabouts began.
When Marisol dropped the children back off with their grandmother on Friday night, she called CPS to let them know.
Galveston police are still investigating the case but aren't yet sure whether they will charge Marisol.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 40 min ago
- Severe weather clears Houston 57 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 4 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 24 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 33 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 2 min ago
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?