HPD: Teen accidentally shoots younger step-brother in head in southeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say the shooting of a teen Sunday in southeast Houston was accidental and no charges are expected.
It happened shortly before noon Sunday in the 8100 block of Bonner Drive. According to investigators, a 15-year-old boy accidentally shot his 14-year-old step-brother in the head.
Police said the step-brothers were playing with a gun at their home when it discharged. When the 15-year-old handed the gun to his younger step-brother, his finger was still on the trigger. When boy took the weapon, the trigger was accidentally pulled. The gun discharged and the younger step-brother was struck in the head.
The 15-year-old then ran to nearby Glenbrook Golf Course and ditched the weapon, possibly in a bayou. The boy reportedly told police they found the .38 revolver a few months ago.
"He admitted that they -- several months ago -- had found a revolver and that they kept it hidden at the house," HPD Sgt. Kevin Tolls said. "And when their parents were away, they had the gun and out and were playing with it and the trigger was accidentally pulled, and it shot one of the young males in the head."
The 14-year-old was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital. At last check, he was in critical condition.
The uninjured step brother initially told HPD patrol officers and investigators a man dressed in all black had entered the residence, shot his brother and then fled the scene. The step-brother later admitted to the accidental shooting and told police he threw the gun in a nearby body of water. An initial search by the HPD Dive Team was unsuccessful. However, the search for the weapon will continue.
Police are calling this an accident. The uninjured step-brother was questioned and released to family members. There has been no arrest and they are no referring any criminal charges to the district attorney. It will be up to a grand jury to decide if any are warranted. It is not clear where the teens found the gun or to whom it actually belonged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- HISD expanding dual language program
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?