Deputy shoots suspect after auto theft at high school
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A stolen car chase ended with gunfire when officers spotted a suspect with something shiny in his hand.
It started around 2:40pm, as a Harris County Sheriff's narcotics officer and a South Houston police officer conducted surveillance. They reportedly saw a man break into a truck and drive off from the South Houston High School parking lot. Authorities say the officers chased the suspect in their vehicle.
The stolen truck hit a curb in the 2100 block of Parakeet Road in Houston. The suspect ran from the vehicle, then turned toward the officers while reportedly holding a metallic object. Fearing that the suspect had a weapon, the narcotics officer fired his gun at the suspect, hitting him in the buttock area. The shiny object turned out to be an industrial sized pair of pliers.
"The Harris County deputy, obviously fearing for his safety and that of his partner, quickly exits the vehicle, he IDs himself as a Harris County Sheriff's deputy," an official at the scene told Eyewitness News. "He discharges his weapon several times. The suspect tries to flee, and he is hit during the gunfire."
The injured man was taken to Ben Taub Hospital and will face criminal charges.
The deputy who shot the suspect works undercover and has not been identified. He will be on administrative leave during the investigation. The Houston Police Department is investigating the case.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 1 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger' 56 min ago
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 34 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
17 min ago