Heights-area business goes up in flames
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The owner of a Heights-area meat market and restaurant is waiting to be allowed back into his business, after a fire ripped through it early Wednesday.
The fire broke out at the La Michoacana meat market and restaurant on Shepherd at West 14th Street.
The column of smoke rose with the sun and it was visible for miles.
"We knew we had a working fire before we got here," said Captain Raymond Flannelly with the Houston Fire Department.
By 7am, the kitchen at the meat market is usually bustling, preparing for customers. But today, employees scrambled to escape the flames.
"I come here to get coffee, sometimes get breakfast, lunch sometimes and I know most of the employees here," said customer Bernardo Garcia. "So I feel bad for them."
La Michoacana is a long-standing Mexican grocery store, bakery and meat market, with a small cafe and deli inside.
"Everything, all of the contents, will have to be thrown away," Flannelly said.
Firefighters tackled the fire fast, stumbling across the owner's upstairs apartment during their initial search of the building.
"Coming into a building like this, you would never think that there's a family on the second floor," said Flannelly.
Fortunately, no one was hurt. Regular customers just hope the family can get back on its feet, and reopen the store for business.
"It doesn't look that bad but apparently it is, so I don't know if they are going to close down completely or open up, probably not very soon," Garcia said.
The business sustained heavy smoke and fire damage in the kitchen area. Fire officials say a large pot of oil used for deep frying was turned on and left unattended. The oil reportedly boiled over, causing the fire.
local, sonia azad
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 9 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- ABC13 broacasting Texans vs. Jags game Thursday night
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Search for Missouri fugitive moves to Houston
- Nude pics on Instagram lead to sex assault suspects