Brazosport High School teacher accused of having sex with student at prom after-party
FREEPORT, TX (KTRK) -- A local high school teacher has left her position amid accusations that she had a sexual relationship with a student.
Nikki Scherwitz, 25, is no longer at Brazosport High School. This was her first year teaching 10th grade English. Police say she quit soon after rumors of inappropriate behavior surfaced a day after the school prom.
Scherwitz has been charged with sexual assault of a child and improper relationship between educator and student. Freeport police say after local teens attended the high school prom at River Place, a group attended an after-party.
The teacher showed up at the after-party, and then left with the 16-year-old student. That raised eyebrows and caused an investigation to start on April 22. Police say Scherwitz admitted to having had an inappropriate relationship for several weeks with the student.
"The relationship started with text messaging, which led to explicit text messaging, which led to the relationship," said Raymond Garivey with the Freeport Police Department.
Scherwitz is out on bond.
Brazosport ISD released a statement Thursday afternoon which read in part: "Brazosport ISD expects the highest standard of professionalism and integrity from its employees. Therefore, it is a requirement that any and all reports of employee misconduct be investigated to determine if there is a violation of Board Policy."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
freeport, local, miya shay
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 32 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after found safe 51 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident 20 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 10 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking