Harris Co. deputy constables wait tables to raise money for Special Olympics
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It is not often you hear law enforcement asking for tips. In fact, they usually frown on it and in some cases, it's flat out illegal. But for one night, a group of Harris County's finest did whatever they could to raise money for a special cause.
A man is headed to jail. Although it's not a real jail, and the bail money is donated to a good cause.
"When they bail them out, that money goes to Special Olympics," said Lt. Wayne Schultz with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office.
It was a night of fun at Joe's Crab Shack with the Precinct 4 deputy constables. Sporting the department's new uniforms, the deputy constables did whatever it took to raise a buck for Special Olympics.
"We'll bus tables. My guys are working," said Lt. Schultz. "We've got aprons on. We're out here working with the crowd."
We even caught them dancing for tips; anything to raise money for Special Olympics athletes like Meg Norman, who participates in the games as a swimmer.
"I get to be with my friends," she said. "We get to travel. I just love it."
"If you look at their smiles, and you know that you're fulfilling dreams for them, that's what satisfies me," said Lt. Schultz.
As far as the customers are concerned, the tips are well-spent.
"It shows them that they care, they care for the community," said customer Matt Harris. "They care for the kids."
And the lifelong lessons of Special Olympics for the athletes are something money can't buy.
"They learn to work together, to take direction. They learn the sense of achievement and camaraderie, and to set a goal and win," said Joan Jarrett with Special Olympics Texas.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Woman found dead inside burned out home 9 min ago
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 16 min ago
- Three Webster officers accused of using excessive force 12 min ago
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Fugitive Friday: Help find suspect in sexual assault of child 58 min ago
- Astronaut may get Christmas wish for spacewalk
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Sales brisk for tonight's $425M Mega Millions game 40 min ago
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- Police: 2 people killed after Utah rock slide
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos