Teen injured after homemade bomb detonates in Kingwood neighborhood
KINGWOOD, TX (KTRK) -- A teenager is in the hospital after police say a bomb he made exploded in a Kingwood neighborhood.
Neighbors in Kingwood are still trying to understand exactly what happened in their community.
According to Houston police, two men -- ages 18 and 19 -- had been making improvised explosives inside a home in the 5300 block of Wild Blackberry near Lake Houston. Overnight, one detonated nearby.
"I heard 'boom,' an explosion. But I live right behind Ford Road, so I thought they shoot shotguns back there. So I dismissed that," neighbor Mark Contreras said. "Then I heard screaming."
Contreras says he didn't know what to think, but then came the sirens and emergency vehicles.
"Then my wife came home," Contreras said. "And she said there was a boy lying on the grass, bloodied up; his stomach and his face."
Neighbors who didn't want to talk on camera told us they saw three teenage boys running from the direction of a bayou through the subdivision after the explosion. One of the teens collapsed on a lawn at Wild Blackberry and Valley Rim Drive.
A trail of blood leads from a bridge over the bayou and back into the subdivision.
Neighbors are still trying to piece together exactly what the men were doing, but from what they could gather at the scene, it was probably not something they should have been doing
"He was trying to blow up some turtles, or whatever he was doing," Kevin Contreras said. "Could have hurt other little kids that were there at the pond."
"Obviously it's very irresponsible. Kids of any age, particularly somebody who should know better," neighbor Paul Gennusa said. "It's a little concerning. You just wonder what& they didn't have anything better to do with their time?"
The 19-year-old was taken to the hospital with injuries to his legs, torso and hands. His name has not been released. Police say no criminal charges are expected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
kingwood, local, simon gutierrez
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Police: Ohio infant apparently killed by dogs
- Lululemon founder stepping down after gaffe
- Canada to claim North Pole as their own
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on hand
- Woman accused of having sex with boy, 14
- Senate and House leaders reach deal on budget agreement
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos