Scrap yard owner fatally shoots trespasser in northeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police were investigating the deadly shooting of a trespasser Monday in northeast Houston, and it turns out this isn't the first time the shooter has opened fire on trespassers.
It happened around 4pm at a scrap yard on Langley near the Eastex Freeway. The shooter is the 63-year-old property owner. He was taken to Houston Police Department headquarters in downtown Houston for questioning.
According to investigators, he is sensitive about trespassers having been a target in the past.
He told investigators he has found bullet holes in his "no trespassing" signs and that things have been stolen from the property in the past, so he often sits on guard.
"My understanding is the patrol officers have made numerous calls here over the last couple of years," said Sgt. Robert Torres with the Houston Police Department. "At least one of them has been regarding discharging of firearms by the same property owner to other persons trespassing on the property."
Police said the man saw someone coming out from between two vehicles in the scrap yard, so he opened fire. The trespasser was struck at least once and died at the scene. Police have identified that man as JB Garrett, 66. They say he had burglary instruments in his possession.
Investigators will refer the case to a grand jury to consider whether the property owner should face criminal charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, jessica willey
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'