Did Houston's main competition for 2017 Super Bowl drop the ball?
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- NFL owners will decide in Boston later this month on the locations of Super Bowl L and Super Bowl LI. But a decision in Florida could help boost Houston's chances of hosting.
Roll back the clock to 2004 when Houston hosted only the second Super Bowl in its history and there are fond memories.
"2004 was, it was a very good year. The Super Bowl was fantastic," said Markus Davis, owner of The Breakfast Klub in Midtown.
He says the restaurant did a lot of Super Bowl business. History could repeat itself as Houston is competing for Super Bowl LI in 2017. And the city is competing against Miami or San Francisco.
The prevailing theory is that San Francisco will win the 2016 bid, thereby creating a Miami-Houston contest for the 2017 game. And Miami's stadium will not be getting a quarter billion dollar makeover because the Florida legislature failed to act.
"We're not gonna be overconfident. We know it's up to the owners and they can do whatever they want to do. We just have to make a good bid and convince 'em Houston's the place to be," said Houston Texans owner Bob McNair.
Diplomacy is being exercised because that selection comes in less than three weeks.
"You don't want to be up against the team with the new stadium, so Miami is who we'd rather be up against, but with that said we're confident we have a great bid," said Ric Campo, chairman of Houston's Super Bowl Host Committee.
That includes a new video screen and scoreboard for Reliant Stadium, with a new convention center hotel to hold more visitors. The bid package will be submitted this week in writing. But even for this Cowboys fan, he votes Houston.
"So they're doing a good job of bringing their name to the forefront and I think they earned it and they deserve it," said Steven Stockton.
The new MetLife Stadium in New Jersey will host the Super Bowl next year, then the game returns to Arizona in 2015.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
reliant stadium, nfl, houston texans, local, deborah wrigley
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 7 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 34 min ago
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects