Mailman finds homemade bomb in Galveston
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Authorities in Galveston are trying to find out who dropped an explosive in a mailbox and why. A mailman made the dangerous discovery at 69th and Lasker.
Police believe they are close to arresting a suspect in this case, and because the bomb was placed in a US Post Office box, that suspect could face federal charges.
The postal carrier who opened the mail box to find a bomb inside was told not to talk about it, but he did express relief, saying he was 'absolutely' glad that nothing happened.
"I can't talk about it," he said.
Neighbors like Jomar Bryant and his three-year-old son had to stay put for five hours Monday as police removed and disabled what turned out to be a bomb left in the US Post Office mail box. The location is a busy one. There are several apartment complexes, a large retail store and a daycare center nearby.
"For something like that to happen this close to home, with what happened in Boston it's getting crazy all over the world," Bryant said. "Just keep God first and just be thankful that nothing did happen."
The US Postal Inspection Service is assisting the investigation by the Galveston Police Department, which says the device was a hand-made, cylindrical bomb that would have to be detonated manually, and could not have been set off remotely, but was still dangerous.
"Even though it may have had to be manually ignited, they pose a potential risk," explained Galveston Police Chief Henry Porretto. "There are other factors that could help it ignite."
Anyone with information is asked to call Galveston police at 409-765-3702.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
galveston, local, katie mccall
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'