Suspected trespasser rescued from scaffolding in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspect is in jail after a bizarre scene played out near the Museum District early Wednesday morning.
It happened around 2am near Caroline and Arbor Place. Police were called to a home under construction after an intruder was spotted on video surveillance. And the scene only got stranger from there.
The bizarre chase happened on construction site scaffolding. Let's just say a high-climbing trespasser was no match for Houston police today.
It was business as usual on Wednesday at a construction site on Caroline, where contractors went back to building a group of townhomes. But in the early morning hours, it was a totally different story.
Police say Dewayne Potts snuck on to the property, climbed the scaffolding and got stuck.
Mike Monsive with the company Cameras On Site said, "These officers had to go through several levels of scaffolding to make the apprehension."
Monsive says he recently installed surveillance systems at the location after copper thieves began targeting the site. He says the arrested man bypassed these posted warnings, triggering the alarms. And the high-climbing pursuit between Potts and the police was all caught on camera.
"This individual ignored all of those warning signs," Monsive said. "He continued on to the property, and was in the process of trying to steal copper from this site."
Investigators say Potts, who is a convicted burglar, was carrying tools as he climbed his way up the scaffolding to the fourth level. When police arrived, two officers trapped him in a corner and handcuffed him.
With no safe way to get back down, police had to call on the fire department for its ladder truck Now Potts is facing charges for criminal trespassing and evading arrest.
Monsive said, "They got another criminal who has a history of doing this off the streets."
The workers say they are thankful police literally went above and beyond to make the arrest.
local, demond fernandez
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots 18 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 56 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa 12 min ago
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you 3 min ago
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Video: Treating asthma by burning the lungs
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive?
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble 2 min ago