Thieves targeting custom wheels, rims in Pearland
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- Pearland police are warning residents to protect their property from thieves targeting custom wheels and rims. They believe the same thieves hit five cars in just one day.
The chrome rims are upgrades on most vehicles now they're the target of thieves in Pearland.
It will make your heart sink, seeing this your vehicle on blocks in your driveway. It happened to five different people, all on the same day, in Pearland.
"Came out one morning, headed on a business trip one morning and walked out to find my car sitting on blocks," said one resident.
The thieves left his 2012 Chevy Silverado sitting on the landscaping brick from his yard. Seven houses down, his neighbors rims were also ripped off.
Surveillance cameras revealed men in hoodies rolling the Escalade's rims off. Blanca Hamby lives next door with the same SUV.
"Those rocks around the tree. Yea, they used some of those rocks to put under the tire," Hamby said.
She now parks her Escalade in the garage.
"I don't want to leave it outside. We left it outside a few times, a few evenings, but no, I don't want to leave it outside anymore," she said.
The rim thieves hit five different vehicles in one day. Four were essentially in the same neighborhood, the other about 11 miles away at West Pearland apartment complex. Each time alloy chrome rims were the target.
"Don't know if they are related or not. It's really to early to say, but it is unusual," said Pearland Police Lt. Onesimo Lopez.
The total damage to the five vehicles was more than $11,000. Now this Pearland resident is still using his rental until his Chevy truck is repaired.
"I hope they are caught. I hope the eight different agencies work with each other to catch these guys and I would like to see justice done," he told us.
Police are urging residents to invest in wheel locks and call in anything suspicious.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
pearland, local, erik barajas
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 50 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 51 min ago
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt 44 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns