Thieves targeting custom wheels, rims in Pearland
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- Pearland police are warning residents to protect their property from thieves targeting custom wheels and rims. They believe the same thieves hit five cars in just one day.
The chrome rims are upgrades on most vehicles now they're the target of thieves in Pearland.
It will make your heart sink, seeing this your vehicle on blocks in your driveway. It happened to five different people, all on the same day, in Pearland.
"Came out one morning, headed on a business trip one morning and walked out to find my car sitting on blocks," said one resident.
The thieves left his 2012 Chevy Silverado sitting on the landscaping brick from his yard. Seven houses down, his neighbors rims were also ripped off.
Surveillance cameras revealed men in hoodies rolling the Escalade's rims off. Blanca Hamby lives next door with the same SUV.
"Those rocks around the tree. Yea, they used some of those rocks to put under the tire," Hamby said.
She now parks her Escalade in the garage.
"I don't want to leave it outside. We left it outside a few times, a few evenings, but no, I don't want to leave it outside anymore," she said.
The rim thieves hit five different vehicles in one day. Four were essentially in the same neighborhood, the other about 11 miles away at West Pearland apartment complex. Each time alloy chrome rims were the target.
"Don't know if they are related or not. It's really to early to say, but it is unusual," said Pearland Police Lt. Onesimo Lopez.
The total damage to the five vehicles was more than $11,000. Now this Pearland resident is still using his rental until his Chevy truck is repaired.
"I hope they are caught. I hope the eight different agencies work with each other to catch these guys and I would like to see justice done," he told us.
Police are urging residents to invest in wheel locks and call in anything suspicious.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
pearland, local, erik barajas
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon 38 min ago
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns 15 min ago
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 27 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- 2013 brought surprises, good and bad, to viewers 37 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- One dead, others injured in Baytown wreck
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market