Police: Baytown convenience store clerk shoots would-be robber
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- Baytown police were investigating a shooting at a convenience store Saturday, and whether or not it's linked to other armed robberies in the area.
The store at Alexander Food Store on North Alexander has been robbed before and that's why the clerk was prepared with a gun. Police say a confrontation between the gunman and a female store clerk around 11am ended with the alleged gunman in the hospital.
"We heard, 'Pow! Pow!'" witness Christina Odom said. "He just fell backwards like that."
Baytown police say a man in his 40s ran into the food mart wearing a mask, brandishing a handgun and demanding money.
"The clerk, in fear for his life, pulled a weapon of his own, pointed it at the suspect and demanded him to drop his weapon," Baytown Police Department Lt. Eric Freed said. "The suspect failed to do so and the clerk shot at least one time."
The suspect tried to get away, but police say he had been shot in the stomach. He collapsed on the concrete and was taken to the hospital.
"Too bad he didn't complete the job," customer BJ Keys said.
Police say the suspect seems familiar. They're checking to see if he's connected to other recent robberies in the area.
A tobacco store was robbed on Thursday. Police say an armed man jumped over the counter and took money from the cash register.
Then an AT&T store was robbed Friday. A surveillance photo shows three masked men holding employees at gunpoint while stealing several phones.
Just 45 minutes later, cameras show a nearby bank was robbed, again by three masked men.
As investigators compare surveillance video and witness descriptions, the food mart is back open, employees are on edge.
"That's what it is, a dangerous business," food mart employee Shan Dil said.
The suspect is at Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Jaguars 17, Texans 7 (3) 14 min ago
- Arctic cold front blows in
- New details emerge about bizarre alleged break-in
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter 27 min ago
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Teen girl charged in fight caught on video
- Are more toll lanes what Katy Freeway needs?
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight 14 min ago
- 'Cannibal sandwiches' sicken Wisconsin residents
- Maybe he should have hidden pot elsewhere
- Woman unknowingly tweeted about death of husband 47 min ago