Mother's Day shoppers spend big in an indicator of a recovering economy
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Mother's Day is big business and, for some, an indicator of how the economy is recovering.
Mother's Day morning meant for a frantic rush to the flower shop for many Houstonians.
Flowers in hand, Mother's Day shoppers picked up last-minute presents for the moms that make a difference.
"Paying back to the special women in my life who have made sacrifices for me and the family," shopper Kenneth Bou said.
For florists, Mother's Day is a moneymaker, right up there with Valentine's Day. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are about 85 million mothers in the United States. People are projected to spend $2.7 billion this year on Mother's Day blooms alone.
"It's just a day to recognize your mom. I mean, surely you should be thinking about her every day, but today is the day we set aside," shopper Cammie Kelly said.
Right behind the flower business on Mother's Day is the restaurant business. It's a very popular day to take mom out to eat, and brunch is a very popular meal.
"Easter is a big draw, Thanksgiving Day is usually a pretty good draw, but Mother's Day by far is the biggest," said Anthony Medina of Americas Restaurant.
Economists expect people to spend nearly $2.8 billion on special meals and other family outings for Mother's Day.
"I think the biggest thing is people don't want to have their mothers cook on Mother's Day, so it's a day of rest for the mother," Medina said. "Let's take mother out, show her a good time, show her a great brunch."
Overall, Mother's Day spending is expected to increase for the second year in a row. Last year, consumers spent 6.5 percent more on Mother's Day than in 2011. This year's total spending is expected to be more than $17 billion.
That means more presents for Mom, and more signs, experts say, of a recovering economy.
On behalf of everyone at Channel 13 -- Happy Mother's Day to all moms!
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list 32 min ago
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook