Man dies after being pulled from north Houston house fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A community is mourning the loss of one of their neighbors -- a 50-year-old man who died Sunday after being trapped in a burning home in northwest Houston.
It happened around 12:20pm at a home in the 800 block of North Loop near North Main.
Friends, neighbors and even a man passing by tried to rescue him.
As flames shot out the front of this house along the north loop, Terence Brown knew he had to do something.
"I was exiting 610 and saw the fire, got off and entered the neighborhood from the back," he said.
Brown and several neighbors tried to rescue the man who was trapped inside, but the flames were already too strong.
"We tried to break down the back door with a piece of wood," Brown said. "One of the other guys went and got a sledgehammer and we finally broke the door down after five or six times; yelled in, nobody ever responded."
Among the several neighbors who tried to help was aspiring videographer Tiwan Megget, who not only captured the house enveloped by fire but also saw the moment firefighters pulled the man out and tried to save his life.
"When he came out, he wasn't moving," Meggett said. There were a lot of people around him, they were pumping on his chest and everything, but they he wouldn't respond."
The man was quickly rushed to the hospital, but by the time his relatives made to the house, they were told he didn't survive.
"When I saw the house, I knew something bad had happened," cousin Verna Muse said. "He's a good guy. He would help anybody. He would even help old people, like me."
A lot of neighbors tell us they knew him because he would mow lawns in the neighborhood and do small chores.
Investigators would not speculate on the cause of the fire, but neighbors who have seen the man for years say they believe it has to been an accident. They just wish they had a chance to save his life.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, miya shay
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 11 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital