Police investigating drowning death of 5-year-old southwest Houston boy
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A local family is mourning the death of a 5-year-old boy who drowned over the weekend after falling into a swimming pool in southwest Houston.
We were asked to leave the property, but the pool is at the front of the Los Arcos apartment complex in the 1300 block of Fondren. City of Houston Health and Human Services workers are on the scene, presumably assessing the pool and gate.
Police investigators tell us at around 4:30pm Sunday the 5-year-old boy drowned in the pool. His parents were not with him at the time. They rushed him to Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital, where the boy was pronounced dead.
The boy's family is from Nepal and there is a large community of Nepalese people living at this apartment complex. Police indicated there may have been a language barrier in initial communications with them.
Some residents who live there told us the pool was full of children, dozens of them. Sadly, however, it seems they were unsupervised by an adult.
"If the pool is open, you know, obviously it's easy for anyone to walk right in. The tragic thing is parents not being responsible for their children," said neighbor Eloy Saravia.
The pool ranges from 3 to 5 feet deep. It is surrounded by an iron fence with one welded gate and another that is now padlocked.
We don't know whether all of these children hopped the fence or squeezed through to get to the pool or if it was open.
Investigators say they plan to further interview the parents later on today. Police said they plan to review surveillance video to learn more about what happened.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church 16 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K 59 min ago
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos