Teen finds woman, brother dead in Alief-area home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One day after a woman, a 10-year-old boy, and the boy's father were all shot at a home in the Alief area, police say the attack appears to be drug-related.
The woman and boy died in the shooting at a townhome on Westwick near Bellaire Boulevard on Monday night. The father was rushed to an area hospital. At last check, he remained in critical condition.
Police have not released many details about why they believe the shootings may be drug-related, but we found out the injured father is on probation for a prior drug-related arrest.
Neighbors near had their guard up Tuesday, and there was a sense of heightened alert after the gruesome murders and injuries.
"I just moved in two weeks ago. I feel very bad about this," neighbor Hien Nguyen said. "Last night, I couldn't sleep. I just walked back and forth, back and forth."
Investigators identified the victims as 40-year-old Hoai Tranh Vu, his 29-year old girlfriend Lena Nguyen and his 10-year-old son Brandon Vu. Brandon was a fourth grader at Mahanay Elementary.
Detectives say a 14-year-old boy came home from school Monday afternoon and found all three victims shot in the head. Nothing was stolen from the house and there were no signs of forced entry. The garage door was open, but both cars were there.
Investigators say the bodies of Nguyen and the 10-year old were found in the corner of an upstairs bedroom in what police say appears to be a drug-related crime.
"I feel bad about the kid," neighbor Nguyen said. "I feel really, really bad about the kid."
As detectives spent time canvassing the area for clues on the suspected gunmen Tuesday, other investigators held a news conference releasing new evidence.
"This is the suspect vehicle that we're believing the suspects used," HPD Sgt. Colin Howard said.
It's not a good photo, but the best shot police say they have from a neighbor's surveillance camera of the silver or gray vehicle the suspects may have been driving.
Investigators say someone dropped off a couple of men and then circled the area.
Police are asking anyone with information about that silver or gray car to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
alief, local, demond fernandez
- One dead, several injured in bar shooting 14 min ago
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
- Family affected by HPD homicide probe speaks out
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Rockets fall to Portland again, down 2-0 in series
- Authorities: Deadly wreck sparked by fleeing driver 30 min ago
- Job fair today only for veterans, spouses 29 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 12 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Two people shot outside auto shop
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial 10 min ago
- Cy-Fair ISD: Bible OK to bring for independent reading
- Fetal tissue used to power Oregon homes