Employees at northwest Houston bank tied up during robbery
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A terrifying ordeal for two bank employees in northwest Houston -- a man threatened them, then bound them in a robbery. Now the crook is on the loose and the FBI is looking for him.
The robbery took place early Tuesday morning at the Wells Fargo on the Northwest Freeway and 34th Street. It isn't a good day when your neighborhood bank is cordoned off with crime scene tape.
"I was just going to make a deposit," said bank customer Chris Clewell.
No deposits and no withdrawals after an unscheduled one before the Wells Fargo branch bank opened Tuesday morning. Investigators aren't saying how a robber got in the building, but he restrained two female employees.
FBI spokesperson Shauna Dunlap said, "He was aggressive with the tellers. They were not physically harmed during this bank robbery. He did get away with cash. It's still very much an ongoing investigation."
The two tellers were tied up without the robber ever displaying a weapon, but he was verbally threatening. He's also said to have pulled the hair of one teller.
It's not known if the man was on foot or had a car near the bank, but he apparently wore an effective disguise. Officials say he wore a straw fedora with a black band, large aviator sunglasses, a bandana used as a mask, a red shirt, and gray pants and carried a black backpack. He was so well-covered it's not known what ethnicity he is, only that he is a light-skinned male.
The bank remained closed for the day and customers were taken by surprise, sort of.
"It is near my house, but this obviously isn't the first time this has happened by any means," Clewell said.
The investigation is ongoing.
local, deborah wrigley
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 18 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase 53 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded 46 min ago
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone 24 min ago
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared 56 min ago
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers