Homeowner wounds suspect during shoot-out in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A shootout in the Sharpstown area sent at least one suspect to a hospital. Police say three men stormed the house and forced the homeowner into a closet, but that's where he gained the upper hand.
Inside a home on Braeburn Valley near Beechnut, a high stakes drama played out. Police got a 911 call from the owner who said three men had broken into his house.
HPD Sgt. J. Brandon said, "They confronted the homeowner, assaulted him briefly and they put him in a closet."
They didn't look in the closet, because that's where he keeps his guns. Police were told the homeowner thought the men had left after a few minutes. He went downstairs, armed just in case.
"He actually confronted one of the suspects who was still at his home and shots were exchanged," Sgt. Brandon said.
The homeowner wasn't injured but one of the suspects was. Neighbor Craig Gaddis heard the gunfire and walked outside.
"I saw the burglar lying on the concrete and there was already somebody standing over him, just a random driver," Gaddis said. "It looked like he had blood coming out of his neck and his leg. He was saying something -- turn me over, it hurts, move me."
His two companions got away. The wounded suspect is now hospitalized. There've been robberies and break-ins in the neighborhood recently, according to those who live here. This time, one was foiled.
"Guess what? The owner had a gun," Gaddis said. "He did exactly what he was supposed to do -- with the gun, that's what they're made for -- protect his home."
The two other suspects were last seen speeding down Braeburn Valley in a dark colored SUV. The wounded suspect remains at Ben Taub Hospital. No charges are expected to be filed against the homeowner.
local, deborah wrigley
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck 57 min ago
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir 58 min ago
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center 16 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 32 min ago
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line 32 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 25 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case 40 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 42 min ago