Dayton grandmother fights off sexual assailant; suspect arrested
DAYTON, TX (KTRK) -- A community is on alert after a woman was brutally attacked and nearly raped by a stranger who broke into her Dayton home.
The attack happened Friday night at a home on FM 1960 near Shipman, but police arrested 27-year-old Kyle Antoine in connection to the case just this afternoon.
We talked by phone to the woman who was attacked, and she says she won't be intimidated.
After a day of bad weather on Friday, Leslie Garrett was watching the news at home, waiting for the weather to come on when she dozed off.
Her daughter sat down to tell us what happened.
"She woke up, hearing the weather come on and she looked over to see a man standing beside her," daughter Stephanie Welder said.
What ensued was a brutal attack on the grandmother. A photograph of Garrett taken by the Dayton newspaper The Vindicator shows the bruises she suffered at the hands of the intruder. We received permission from Garrett to use the images.
Eyewitness News usually does not broadcast the names and images of victims of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault, but in this case, it's part of the healing process.
"She just sort of had that awakening that she wasn't going to hide. She hasn't done anything wrong," Welder said.
Garrett fought her attacker for close to an hour. He fled and she called 911.
She was treated at a Houston hospital and released.
Police are looking for the man who did it. Meanwhile, mother and daughter are looking for healing.
"It's a day-by-day thing," Welder said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, adela uchida
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 12 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- First the wind, then the cold