Dayton grandmother fights off sexual assailant; suspect arrested
DAYTON, TX (KTRK) -- A community is on alert after a woman was brutally attacked and nearly raped by a stranger who broke into her Dayton home.
The attack happened Friday night at a home on FM 1960 near Shipman, but police arrested 27-year-old Kyle Antoine in connection to the case just this afternoon.
We talked by phone to the woman who was attacked, and she says she won't be intimidated.
After a day of bad weather on Friday, Leslie Garrett was watching the news at home, waiting for the weather to come on when she dozed off.
Her daughter sat down to tell us what happened.
"She woke up, hearing the weather come on and she looked over to see a man standing beside her," daughter Stephanie Welder said.
What ensued was a brutal attack on the grandmother. A photograph of Garrett taken by the Dayton newspaper The Vindicator shows the bruises she suffered at the hands of the intruder. We received permission from Garrett to use the images.
Eyewitness News usually does not broadcast the names and images of victims of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault, but in this case, it's part of the healing process.
"She just sort of had that awakening that she wasn't going to hide. She hasn't done anything wrong," Welder said.
Garrett fought her attacker for close to an hour. He fled and she called 911.
She was treated at a Houston hospital and released.
Police are looking for the man who did it. Meanwhile, mother and daughter are looking for healing.
"It's a day-by-day thing," Welder said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, adela uchida
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston