METRO opens NW Freeway toll lane on May 20
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Commuters on the northwest side of town will soon have another option at their disposal.
The US 290/Northwest Freeway HOT Lane opens May 20 and is the fourth area HOV lane to be converted to High Occupancy Toll lanes (HOT). METRO HOT Lanes give solo drivers with authorized toll tags use of HOV lanes by paying a toll during specific hours. Access to the lane remains free of charge, however, to all eligible high occupancy vehicles (HOV).
Tolls for the US 290 Northwest Freeway HOT will range from $1 to $5 based on time of day. The Northwest Freeway HOV serves key activity and employment centers including METRO transit facilities, Fairfield, Beltway 8, and Loop 610. The 13.5 mile US 290 HOV lane currently carries about 7,500 vehicles per day. That is expected to increase to 9,000 with HOT traffic.
Visit RideMetro.org for more information on how to use the METRO HOT Lanes.
METRO debuted its first HOT Lane (IH-45 South) in February, 2012, a second (59 South) in July 2012, and a third (IH-45 North) in December 2012. The lanes include automated gates and controls.
Check real-time traffic information in our ABC13.com traffic section
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse 46 min ago
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos