HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A sergeant with the Harris County Sheriff's Office was killed early this morning when his vehicle was hit by a suspected drunk driver in north Houston.
It happened around 3am on North Shepherd near West Little York. Investigators say Sgt. Dwayne Polk had just finished a shift and was heading home when the accident happened.
"As he pulls into the intersection, he is struck on his driver's side, T-boned by a GMC truck that was going at a high rate of speed that ran the red light and struck him, full impact," said an investigator on the scene. "(There were) no skid marks, no attempt to stop at all."
Sgt. Polk was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials say he was a 16-year veteran of the department.
The other driver has been identified as Andres Munos Munos, 22. He suffered only minor injuries, and has been charged with intoxication manslaughter. Munos is being held without bail and is expected to appear in court Monday.
Court records indicate Munos was previously charged with DWI in June 2012 and also has a previous charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston