Niko Niko's World Gyro Eating Championship crowns winner
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two of the nation's best competitive eaters went head to head in Houston this afternoon in an eating competition with a Greek twist.
Joey Chestnut took top honors, besting his fiercest rival, Matt Stonie, at the sixth annual Niko Niko's World Gyro Eating Championship. The menu? Pita gyros from the foodie favorite restaurant. Chestnut ate 22 1/4 of them in 10 minutes.
Chestnut walks away with a grand prize of $5,000. The competition was held Sunday afternoon at the Houston Greek Fest on Eldridge Parkway.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 10 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!