Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are investigating the drowning death of a preschooler found in an apartment complex swimming pool in southwest Houston.
Detectives spent most of Sunday talking to eyewitnesses to try and figure out how the little boy ended up at the bottom of the pool at an apartment complex on Westheimer near Westerland.
It was mid-afternoon when Jay Jones heard a frantic knock on his door.
"She asked me, 'You seen Jonathan?'" Jones told us.
It was a mother looking for her young son. Jones went out to help look for the 3-year-old boy. First, he saw by the pool the ball that the boy loved. Then he spotted something at the bottom.
"He was laying face down at the bottom," said Jones.
Police say the pool was surrounded by a fence and a locked gate. The gate is about four feet tall. It's not clear how that little boy ended up alone inside the fence or how long he was alone in the water before he was found.
Jones helped pull him out and started CPR. Police, however, say it was too little, too late.
"I don't have no idea how he got in there," Jones said. "But you know kids, they find something, they find a way."
Police are still trying to determine just how this boy got inside the pool. His family says he wandered off for just a moment before his mother realized he was gone.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin inks extension
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Three Webster officers indicted for official oppression
- Girl, 5, surprises deaf parents at holiday...
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond