Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Texas Marine who died in Afghanistan is being remembered for his bravery.
The Marine Corps presented a Silver Star to the father of Sergeant Wade Wilson in a ceremony at Ellington Field Sunday.
According to the military, Wilson tried to take down an insurgent who had critically wounded another Marine last year. Wilson was shot several times and died of his injuries.
"I'm just proud of my son and all the Marines and service men and women who serve this country," said father Rusty Wilson. "It's just an honor to know that they're out there for us."
Wilson was from Normangee, which is north of Huntsville.
The Silver Star is the third highest combat award given for bravery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush 41 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea says Kim's uncle removed from power 23 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 56 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 58 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay