Grandmother killed, teen injured in head-on accident
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman is dead and her 17-year-old grandson hurt after a hit and run crash in Montgomery County. Now investigators are looking for the driver who hit them.
Deputies say the victim's car was involved in a crash Sunday night on Hardin Store Road near Magnolia. A pickup hit them head-on, but that driver and passenger ran off. The victim's family says they just want some answers.
"She was our rock," said the victim's daughter, Ahide Briones. "You know, to us, she held us solid. I mean, it's just indescribable."
Indescribable -- that's how Aurora Garcia's family is summing up this crash that killed the 50-year-old homemaker from Magnolia late Sunday night. Troopers say a pickup truck crashed into Garcia's Toyota on Hardin Store Road.
"It's unreal," Briones said. "It's hard to cope, especially because we had spent, you know, Sunday as a family, you know all her siblings and stuff."
Friends and family gathered at Garcia's home are having a tough time. They say the married mother of five had her 17-year-old grandson in the car when the crash happened. That injured teen is Ahide Briones' son.
"He's in and out of it," she said. "He's still kind of groggy about the whole situation."
Troopers say a Chevrolet pickup was traveling at high speeds when it hit a curve, crossed the yellow line and collided with Garcia's car. Garcia didn't make it. Most upsetting to her children and family members is that investigators say two men in the pickup ran from the fatal crash scene before emergency workers arrived.
Briones said, "We want closure. That's all we are asking for. You know there are a lot of unanswered questions. And we just want closure."
Now as troopers continue investigating this crash, Garcia's family members say they're struggling to focus on the memories.
"We lost a very special woman, a very special woman," Briones said.
Investigators set up a perimeter in the area, but at last check they have been unable to locate the pickup truck's driver and passenger.
local, demond fernandez
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Thirsty beer thief ends up getting caught 1 min ago
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 7 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 30 min ago
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes
- Information on price tags decoded
4 min ago