Suspected drunk driver accused of killing HCSO sergeant in crash appears in court
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The man charged with killing a Harris County Sheriff's Office sergeant in a crash over the weeekend appeared before a judge for the first time this morning.
The fatal accident happened around 3am yesterday on North Shepherd near West Little York. Andres Munos Munos, who's charged with intoxication manslaughter, appeared before the judge at around 2am.
Ironically, this morning is the suspect's birthday, but he might have started celebrating early when he allegedly got behind the wheel of his vehicle drunk.
Investigators say Munos T-boned a vehicle driven by Harris County Sheriff's Office Sergeant Dwayne Polk, 47, who was headed home from work. Police detectives say Munos was speeding and ran a red light when he crashed into Polk.
Sergeant Polk died at the scene. Police say evidence recovered from the scene indicates Munos was drunk at the time.
"The defendant has a distinct odor of alcohol on his breath and person," read the court clerk. "He had slurred speech and red bloodshot glassy eyes."
Munos only suffered minor injuries.
Sergeant Polk was a 16-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office.
Harris Co. Sheriff Adrian Garcia released a statement Monday which read in part:
- "Our prayers are with Sgt. Polk's family and those who knew him best. Sgt. Polk's death reminds us that we must stop these senseless actions at the hands of irresponsible individuals who insist on ignoring the law and common sense, and get behind the wheel after having too much to drink! As we move forward, Sgt. Polk's death will not be in vain. We will continue to put behind bars those who run the risk of devastating other families, as the Polk family has been."
He's in jail being held without bond. He's expected in criminal court on Tuesday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, samica knight
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 27 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey 55 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced 15 min ago
- Study: Diabetic heart attacks and strokes falling 8 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos