Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A fight outside a bar ended in a deadly shooting in northwest Harris County early Tuesday morning.
Deputies say it started around closing time at 2am at a sports grill on Highway 249 and Hollister.
The victim has been identified by his mother as 23-year-old Dominique Johnson. He spent time in the military and served in Iraq, according to his family.
"My neighbor knocked on my door and said he had gotten shot," said the victim's mother Candi Johnson.
She says when she ran outside her home she saw her son, a former Army soldier, unconscious in his girlfriend's car.
"When they brought him here his eyes were rolling back already," she said. "I don't know. I tried CPR, that's all I can tell you and I heard his lungs fill with air."
Harris County Sheriff's deputies say shortly before, Johnson and a group of friends were inside the bar celebrating a birthday when a fight broke out. Investigators say Johnson was not involved in the altercation but witnesses say he was laughing and that apparently angered the suspect.
"At closing time out in the parking lot, there was a fight disturbance, followed by four to six gunshots," Sgt. Ben Beall with the Harris County Sheriff's Office said. "The victim was shot once."
Critically wounded, Johnson's friends put him in a car and drove him to his mother's house.
"The people who brought him here panicked. They didn't know their directions to take him to the hospital," Johnson said. "My child wasn't perfect but he didn't deserve nothing like this. These kids don't know what they're doing to themselves. They are dying for nothing. I sent him to the military because I said I'd rather he die for his country than to die for nothing out here in these streets, and he still died out here in these streets, for nothing."
Johnson's brother, an Army sergeant at Fort Hood, arrived home Tuesday morning.
Investigators say they don't have any suspects at this time. They are hoping surveillance video will help lead to an arrest.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, samica knight
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 4 min ago
- Firefighters save dog from house fire in Conroe 34 min ago
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze 4 min ago
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats 55 min ago
- Dog shoplifts and buries treats
55 min ago
- Driverless car mystery solved
55 min ago