Mayor Parker unveils plans for Freedom Over Texas event on 4th of July
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Fourth of July is just around the corner and the City of Houston is bringing in some big names to celebrate.
This morning the city unveiled the plans for Houston's annual Freedom Over Texas extravaganza. This year's event will feature Grammy Award winner Sheryl Crow and Country Superstar Martina McBride on the main stage. The celebration will also feature some local talent.
For the second time, one lucky fan will be able to win a chance to meet the stars before their performances.
Mayor Annise Parker says they city works hard to make each celebration bigger and better.
"We encourage Houstonians to make their plans now for coming down, gather the family, come down and plan to spend the evening with us and we know that everyone will have a great time," Mayor Parker said.
The mayor says the city will be prepared to handle the huge crowds and to keep everyone safe during the event.
"We provide a very high level of security for all of our events. Part of what goes into an event is looking at what is happening around the country and what is happening in Houston and we grade our security accordingly," she said.
The Freedom Over Texas extravaganza is Thursday, July 4th.
If you buy tickets online before June 15th they are only $5. Tickets are $8 per person, while children 5 and under are free. Food and beverages are available for purchase by cash, with ATMs available on site.
For more information, visit FreedomOverTexas.org.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course