Man facing charges in beating death of his own mother
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man is facing charges in the beating death of his own mother.
Court documents state Jonathan Eric Neill used a hammer, a wooden pole and an unknown object to bludgeon his mother, Janet Redling, to death. According to court records, police say they received a call on May 22 from Neill saying he found Redling unresponsive in the bathtub at a residence in the 2100 block of Pech Road in northwest Houston.
Police say Neill told them that his mother was an alcoholic and passed out on the couch and he tried to wake her by hitting her with a claw hammer on her knees. He says he then carried her to bathtub and ran cold water on her in an attempt to wake her up, according to police.
According to court documents, police say Neill later admitted to them that he cut his mother with a knife behind her ear to shock her into waking up and claims he accidentally hit her with his elbow.
Neill claimed to police to be bipolar and on medication and said he took drugs and drank beer and couldn't remember what happened, police say. Court records allege Neill told police he fell asleep after putting Redling in the bathtub and later woke to find her face down.
Neill, 20, is charged with murder. He is jailed on $50,000 bond and is due in court on Friday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice stalls sections of I-35 in North Texas 55 min ago
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall 52 min ago
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow
- Cold, damp weather to continue
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats