One dead after police chase comes to end in NE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An innocent mother is dead and her children were injured after some shoplifting suspects, running from police, crashed into their car.
It happened late Thursday afternoon on the feeder road of Highway 59 at Quitman.
It was a chase that started in Humble and ended on a feeder road in northeast Houston. Three women in one car, fleeing from Humble police in a red Dodge, took the Quitman exit, ran a red light and changed a family's life.
"This small car went across the light and plowed into the other car. I guess it looked like a high-speed chase or something like this," witness Patrick Gordon said.
A 43-year-old woman drivng the other car was killed. Her three children -- two young boys and a teen -- were hurt as well.
The suspects injured too, but police say they got out of the wrecked car and tried to run. They were all caught. They're accused of a smash-and-grab robbery at a Macy's store in Deerbrook Mall. Humble police were called and tried to stop the women but the chase was on. It reached speeds up to 70 miles an hour, and several police units were in pursuit. And that's within the department's chase policy.
"It did not appear at this moment that anything was extremely reckless about it or anything like that," Humble Police Department Sgt. Ken Theis said.
Houston police were notified of the pursuit, but by the time HPD responded, the chase had ended -- badly.
Somehow, Hector Medina heard his Chevy might have been in a wreck. He came to the scene.
"A woman and two children," we told Medina.
"What?!" he said.
"Is that your wife?" we asked him.
"Yeah, I think," he said.
Moments later, he was told his wife was dead and his children in the hospital.
At last check, the victim's three children were in serious condition.
The three female suspects are all in custody and were being treated for minor injuries. The driver is charged with felony murder.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 14 min ago
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids 10 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 20 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Three Webster officers go before judge today
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank 44 min ago
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire 48 min ago