Man accused of setting mom's car on fire because she wouldn't buy him new truck
TOMBALL, TX (KTRK) -- A Harris County man was being booked into jail Friday night because of what he allegedly did when his mother refused to buy him a car.
Ryan Hanrahan is charged with arson, accused of targeting his own parents because they told him no.
Hanrahan, 25, wasn't smiling when he was walked into jail, but once he got inside, he had a big grin for his booking photo despite the serious charge he now faces.
"It can kill people," said Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office.
According to the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office, Hanrahan set his parents' SUV on fire early Monday morning. It was sitting just feet from their front door in Spring, where you can still see the remnants. The apparent motive is retaliation.
"The information the parents gave our investigator was that their son was angry at them because he wanted them to purchase a vehicle for him and they did not purchase a vehicle for him," Hensley said.
Ever since, says Hensley, Hanrahan's parents have been afraid he'd come back to do more damage.
On Friday night, Hanrahan was arrested.
"Ryan Patrick Hanrahan can't do anything, you can't prosecute me," Hanrahan told Eyewitness News as he was being escorted to jail.
Hanrahan denied he did set the fire, though did have one request.
"If you bail me out, you get to come to the party," he told Eyewitness News.
Investigators believe he used inflammable liquids to light the car on fire.
His bond has been set at $30,000.
Hanrahan's parents did not answer their door when Eyewitness News stopped by on Friday.
tomball, local, jessica willey
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church 25 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos