Coast Guard ends search for missing 19-year-old swimmer near San Luis Pass
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- The search ended Saturday at sunset for a missing 19-year-old man who disappeared off of the coast of Galveston.
The U.S. Coast Guard and Galveston police joined forces to search for Chris Jackson of League City. He went missing around 8:30pm Friday in waters near San Luis Pass.
The San Luis Pass Bridge is infamous for steep drop-offs. There are warning signs and no lifeguards on duty in the area.
The missing man was swimming about 80 yards offshore when a friend said he went underwater and didn't resurface.
Crews searched all night by boat and all day by air without success.
Jackson's family has been notified of his disappearance.
Officials say this should serve as a warning to others who are spending the holiday on the water to choose swim areas cautiously and remember that treacherous rip currents can occur without warning and are year-round dangers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
galveston, local, deborah wrigley
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born