Girl, 16, dies after being pulled from Liberty County pond
CLEVELAND, TX (KTRK) -- A 16-year-old girl was taken off of life support Sunday, a day after being pulled from a community pond in Cleveland.
According to Liberty County officials, Megan Spade was swimming with her siblings in the pond off County Road 3747 shortly after 5pm Saturday when she went under the water.
The teen's grandfather pulled her from the water and began CPR. A Liberty County deputy arrived and took over CPR, but Megan was still unresponsive.
She was originally taken to Kingwood Hospital but later transferred to Memorial Herman Children's Unit in Houston where she was on life support Sunday morning.
Officials said she was removed from life support and pronounced dead just before noon.
Megan reportedly knows how to swim, so it's unknown at this time why she went under. The drowning remains under investigation and an autopsy will be performed, officials said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911 51 min ago
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 14 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man