Girl, 16, dies after being pulled from Liberty County pond
CLEVELAND, TX (KTRK) -- A 16-year-old girl was taken off of life support Sunday, a day after being pulled from a community pond in Cleveland.
According to Liberty County officials, Megan Spade was swimming with her siblings in the pond off County Road 3747 shortly after 5pm Saturday when she went under the water.
The teen's grandfather pulled her from the water and began CPR. A Liberty County deputy arrived and took over CPR, but Megan was still unresponsive.
She was originally taken to Kingwood Hospital but later transferred to Memorial Herman Children's Unit in Houston where she was on life support Sunday morning.
Officials said she was removed from life support and pronounced dead just before noon.
Megan reportedly knows how to swim, so it's unknown at this time why she went under. The drowning remains under investigation and an autopsy will be performed, officials said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Police: Ohio infant apparently killed by dogs
- Lululemon founder stepping down after gaffe
- Canada to claim North Pole as their own
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on hand
- Woman accused of having sex with boy, 14
- Senate and House leaders reach deal on budget agreement
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos