Community remembers woman killed in northeast Houston police chase
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A community gathered Saturday night in northeast Houston to remember a family ripped apart by a deadly crash involving three suspected shoplifters.
Rosalva Quezada, 43, was driving her children home from school Thursday afternoon when that crash happened. She was killed. Her three children were seriously injured.
On Thursday, the Eastex Freeway frontage road where the crash occurred was a crime scene. But on Saturday, it was the setting for a vigil to remember a mother who died and her children who remain hospitalized.
"Right now we're angry, and we're sad and our hearts are breaking just to see those babies," the victim's niece, Yavira Queceda, said.
According to charges against the driver of the car that hit the family, it was no accident, but a case of murder. Three young women were fleeing from Humble police after they allegedly stole thousands of dollars worth of men's clothing from Macy's at Deerbrook Mall. It wasn't a high-speed chase, but when the suspects' car exited the freeway at Quitman, police say the driver ran a red light and struck the mother's car. All three suspects allegedly tried to run on foot but were caught.
The family is not wealthy and not equipped to handle funeral expenses or medical bills. A Houston rap music producer attended the vigil, offering support.
"I let them know that the community of Fifth Ward is here to contribute and ease their pain as much as we can," James Prince with Rapalot Records said.
Suspect Shiquinta Franklin was driving the car that crashed into Quezada and killed her, officials say. She is charged with murder. Ashley Howard was also in the car and is charged with theft. They will be in court for their charges on Tuesday. Franklin remains in jail. Her bond was set at $50,000. Howard has been released after making $10,000 bail.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident 48 min ago
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 15 min ago
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women 7 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- SpaceX launches supplies to space station 29 min ago
- Easter on 4/20, pot holy day; pastors reach out 46 min ago
- University overstated fiscal health by some $23M 56 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio