Community remembers woman killed in northeast Houston police chase
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A community gathered Saturday night in northeast Houston to remember a family ripped apart by a deadly crash involving three suspected shoplifters.
Rosalva Quezada, 43, was driving her children home from school Thursday afternoon when that crash happened. She was killed. Her three children were seriously injured.
On Thursday, the Eastex Freeway frontage road where the crash occurred was a crime scene. But on Saturday, it was the setting for a vigil to remember a mother who died and her children who remain hospitalized.
"Right now we're angry, and we're sad and our hearts are breaking just to see those babies," the victim's niece, Yavira Queceda, said.
According to charges against the driver of the car that hit the family, it was no accident, but a case of murder. Three young women were fleeing from Humble police after they allegedly stole thousands of dollars worth of men's clothing from Macy's at Deerbrook Mall. It wasn't a high-speed chase, but when the suspects' car exited the freeway at Quitman, police say the driver ran a red light and struck the mother's car. All three suspects allegedly tried to run on foot but were caught.
The family is not wealthy and not equipped to handle funeral expenses or medical bills. A Houston rap music producer attended the vigil, offering support.
"I let them know that the community of Fifth Ward is here to contribute and ease their pain as much as we can," James Prince with Rapalot Records said.
Suspect Shiquinta Franklin was driving the car that crashed into Quezada and killed her, officials say. She is charged with murder. Ashley Howard was also in the car and is charged with theft. They will be in court for their charges on Tuesday. Franklin remains in jail. Her bond was set at $50,000. Howard has been released after making $10,000 bail.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 16 min ago
- Recognize either of these guys?
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 42 min ago
- Cops: 2 OD on heroin as kids play at McDonald's 26 min ago
- Mandalay Bay agrees to $500K fine in drug sting 50 min ago
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...
- Chrysler recalls 49,000 Chargers to fix headlights