Woman dies in fiery crash near downtown
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One person was killed when an SUV ran off the road just west of downtown early this morning.
The accident happened on the eastbound lanes of Memorial Drive near Shepherd around 2:30am.
Police say a woman who was allegedly speeding while trying to take an exit, lost control of her SUV and drove up a concrete embankment. She crashed into a barrier and her car burst into flames.
"Impacted with the guardrail at that point, a pretty catastrophic collision and we believe there was one occupant inside the vehicle and she was pronounced dead at the scene," said Sgt. Tim Trometer with the Houston Police Department.
The woman has not been identified.
The wreck had Memorial Drive closed in both directions for hours but the accident has since been cleared.
local, samica knight
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler 33 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke 29 min ago
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years 4 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- How to lose the last 10 pounds
- Man killed while trying to cross North Freeway
- Missing stop sign blamed for accident in Montgomery Co.