Woman dies in fiery crash near downtown
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One person was killed when an SUV ran off the road just west of downtown early this morning.
The accident happened on the eastbound lanes of Memorial Drive near Shepherd around 2:30am.
Police say a woman who was allegedly speeding while trying to take an exit, lost control of her SUV and drove up a concrete embankment. She crashed into a barrier and her car burst into flames.
"Impacted with the guardrail at that point, a pretty catastrophic collision and we believe there was one occupant inside the vehicle and she was pronounced dead at the scene," said Sgt. Tim Trometer with the Houston Police Department.
The woman has not been identified.
The wreck had Memorial Drive closed in both directions for hours but the accident has since been cleared.
local, samica knight
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 15 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged 36 min ago
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan