Two local students to compete in National Spelling Bee
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Scripps National Spelling Bee begins today in Washington D.C. and southeast Texas will be well represented.
Twelve-year-old 6th grader Shobha Dasari from Pearland and 12-year-old 7th grader Sya-Mantok Payra from Friendswood will take part in the preliminaries today, hoping to advance to the next round.
There is a big change this year. For the first time, spellers will have to know the meaning of the word. Knowing the definition will count for half of their score.
ESPN will air the finals Thursday night at 7pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 36 min ago
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Cold, damp weather to continue 33 min ago
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice to linger over much of Texas
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats