Two local students to compete in National Spelling Bee
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Scripps National Spelling Bee begins today in Washington D.C. and southeast Texas will be well represented.
Twelve-year-old 6th grader Shobha Dasari from Pearland and 12-year-old 7th grader Sya-Mantok Payra from Friendswood will take part in the preliminaries today, hoping to advance to the next round.
There is a big change this year. For the first time, spellers will have to know the meaning of the word. Knowing the definition will count for half of their score.
ESPN will air the finals Thursday night at 7pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 34 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years 59 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 11 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 2 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
30 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
47 min ago