Two local students to compete in National Spelling Bee
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Scripps National Spelling Bee begins today in Washington D.C. and southeast Texas will be well represented.
Twelve-year-old 6th grader Shobha Dasari from Pearland and 12-year-old 7th grader Sya-Mantok Payra from Friendswood will take part in the preliminaries today, hoping to advance to the next round.
There is a big change this year. For the first time, spellers will have to know the meaning of the word. Knowing the definition will count for half of their score.
ESPN will air the finals Thursday night at 7pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Student caught with gun on campus 4 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 8 min ago
- There's pee in the water -- again! 36 min ago
- Bush's ride for wounded veterans scheduled for May 49 min ago
- Facebook rolls out location-sharing feature 32 min ago