Two local students to compete in National Spelling Bee
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Scripps National Spelling Bee begins today in Washington D.C. and southeast Texas will be well represented.
Twelve-year-old 6th grader Shobha Dasari from Pearland and 12-year-old 7th grader Sya-Mantok Payra from Friendswood will take part in the preliminaries today, hoping to advance to the next round.
There is a big change this year. For the first time, spellers will have to know the meaning of the word. Knowing the definition will count for half of their score.
ESPN will air the finals Thursday night at 7pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 23 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 18 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 45 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 26 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 53 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born