Record crowds flock to Galveston Island for Memorial Day weekend
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Galveston Island celebrated record crowds over the Memorial Day holiday weekend, with traffic counts of more than 245,000 vehicles from Friday through Monday. While visitors enjoyed sun and fun on Galveston Island, the Galveston Police Department deployed its full staff to protect and serve the masses.
In addition to providing increased patrol and calls for service, Galveston Police Officers focused efforts on moving traffic and maintaining the flow in and outbound to the Island.
Galveston Police Department Chief Henry S. Porretto reported just more than 1,500 calls for service starting Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning. This was an increase of almost 250 calls compared to last year's Memorial Day holiday weekend. The higher than normal traffic volume and calls for service were responded to quickly and crowds on the Island experienced a safe, enjoyable experience.
"The Galveston Police Department has made a commitment to 'Protect with Respect' and we take on holiday weekends and increased visitation to the island with this initiative in mind," Chief Porretto said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
galveston, memorial day, local
- Severe weather possible across Houston area 29 min ago
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
9 min ago