Record crowds flock to Galveston Island for Memorial Day weekend
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Galveston Island celebrated record crowds over the Memorial Day holiday weekend, with traffic counts of more than 245,000 vehicles from Friday through Monday. While visitors enjoyed sun and fun on Galveston Island, the Galveston Police Department deployed its full staff to protect and serve the masses.
In addition to providing increased patrol and calls for service, Galveston Police Officers focused efforts on moving traffic and maintaining the flow in and outbound to the Island.
Galveston Police Department Chief Henry S. Porretto reported just more than 1,500 calls for service starting Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning. This was an increase of almost 250 calls compared to last year's Memorial Day holiday weekend. The higher than normal traffic volume and calls for service were responded to quickly and crowds on the Island experienced a safe, enjoyable experience.
"The Galveston Police Department has made a commitment to 'Protect with Respect' and we take on holiday weekends and increased visitation to the island with this initiative in mind," Chief Porretto said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
galveston, memorial day, local
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston 28 min ago
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 52 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role 12 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife 56 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus 44 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Students prep for national robotics...
48 min ago