Police: Boy, 8, struck by vehicle driven by his uncle
CY-FAIR, TX (KTRK) -- A eight-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital after getting struck by a truck in the Cy-Fair area Wednesday night, and now a search is underway for his uncle, the man who detectives say was the driver behind the wheel.
It happened around 8pm as the boy and a friend were playing on the sidewalk on a dead end on Skylight lane at Silver Sky Lane.
Authorities say the man behind the wheel was 32-year-old Randy Jenkins, Jr., the victim's uncle.
"According to witnesses, he was driving through the neighborhood erratically. It looks like he made a fast, wide turn," said Sgt. Mike Harvey with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "I don't know what happened, but he lost control of the vehicle and two children were on the sidewalk playing and he went on the sidewalk and stuck the eight-year-old."
"It swerved to play with us, like it was fixing to hit us," said 13-year-old Colby Race. "But when he tried to swerve out the way, I guess he mistook the brake for the gas pedal and came up right over the curb and ran over the boy. But I jumped out of the way in time and I guess he wasn't as lucky as I was."
Colby says Jenkins got out of the truck and told him to call 911. He then went home and took off in another vehicle before police could arrive. Jenkins remains on the loose.
The victim was transported by LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition. We're told he suffered head trauma.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
cypress fairbanks, local
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 41 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 58 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 49 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 1 min ago
- Dying child receives experimental drug 15 min ago
- First the wind, then the cold 45 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case