Shooting spree in NW Houston ends with one dead, one man in custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A series of shootings in northwest Houston has people asking why they had to happen. One man is dead and two other people hurt after the string of attacks, and the suspected shooter is in jail.
The accused shooter was arrested at his home. Some people who know him are saying they believe the man just snapped.
Amy Govan, a friend of the victim who was killed, asked, "Why would he do that to Donald, of anybody and everybody?"
Why? It's the big question among family and friends gathering at Donald Waguespack's home on Jim Street. Police say the 70-year-old man was shot and killed in his driveway by a family friend who was having car problems late Wednesday night.
"He just came out of his room to give him a jump, and as soon as he was done, he just pulled the gun and he just shot him," Amy said.
Police say Joshua Mayfield is the gunman who first killed Waguespack, and then went on a shooting spree on the northwest side, injuring two other innocent people.
Friend Terry Govan recalled, "It happened so fast."
Police say Mayfield shot a motorcyclist on Wirt Road near West 34th, leaving him critically injured. They say a bullet ricocheted, hitting another innocent bystander in the shoulder.
"What really hurts most is that there is no motive," Terry said. "That's what hurts the most."
Officers tracked down Mayfield nearby at Springbrook Village apartments in Spring Branch. After a brief SWAT stand-off, the man surrendered to police. Still all of this is leaving those who know him wondering what triggered it all.
Amy asked, "Why would you do that to Donald, when he's never hurt nobody? He's a good soul."
Police say Mayfield will likely be charged with murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
local, demond fernandez
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 54 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 50 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days